My Nepenthe by Romney Steele, includes recipes from the Big Sur restaurant like Marinated Fresh Monterey Sardines; Rosemary Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto; Wine Poached Quince with Rosemary; and Herb-Stuffed Pork Loin Roast with Wine Poached Quince.
Rosemary Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto
Serves 4 to 6
Serve these mouth watering lamb skewers with mint pesto on a bed of couscous, as we used to do at the café, or wrap them in warmed pita bread with a tussle of greens, chopped cucumber, and a yogurt drizzle.
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves or parsley
- About 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grilling if needed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 lemon, halved
For the pesto, place the walnuts, garlic, salt, and cheese in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the mint and cilantro and pulse a few more times; it should still be a little chunky. Transfer to a bowl, and slowly stir in the olive oil. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
For the brochettes, place the lamb cubes in a nonreactive dish. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the rosemary, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat, cover, and set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Thread the lamb pieces onto about 8 bamboo skewers, alternating with the red pepper and onion squares.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill the lamb, turning every so often and basting with any remaining marinade (or using a little more olive oil, as needed) until cooked to desired doneness, about 15 minutes for medium. Just before they are ready, squeeze with lemon juice.
Serve the brochettes with the mint pesto.
Bohemian Tales of Food, Family, and Big Sur
- by Romney Steele
- Andrews McMeel Publishing 2009
- Hardcover; $35.00; 352 pages
- ISBN-10: 0740779141
- ISBN-13: 978-O-7407-7914-5
- Reprinted by permission.
Buy My Nepenthe
- Marinated Fresh Monterey Sardines
- Rosemary Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto
- Wine Poached Quince with Rosemary
- Herb-Stuffed Pork Loin Roast with Wine Poached Quince
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created April 2010