Latin Grill: Sultry and Simple Food for Red-Hot Dinners and Parties by Rafael Palomino, includes recipes like Grilled Sweet Plantains, Abuelita Style; Grilled Arepas with Farmer's Cheese (or Queso Blanco); and Grilled Chorizo (Colombian Sausage with Ají Rojo).
(Colombian Sausage with Ají Rojo)
It's not just because of my heritage that I love Colombian sausage! Maybe it's the combination of garlic, green onions, cumin, and cilantro. These spices manage to find their way into many of my dishes, but that's understandable: their flavors bring back great childhood memories for me and they're delicious. Here I've combined their flavor with my interpretation of a traditional Colombian salsa: ají rojo. The sauce—which is great on top of everything from chips to yuca—is easy to prepare, and it's great to keep on hand for other grilled meat dishes.
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 red tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 habañero chile, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 Colombian chorizo links
In a large bowl, combine the onion, lime juice, tomato, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Add the chile, chives, and cilantro and stir well. Let the mixture sit for at least 15 minutes. (This can be done several hours ahead of time; keep it in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature just before serving.)
Light a fire in a charcoal or gas grill. Cook the sausages, turning every couple of minutes, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. (The grilling time will vary depending on the thickness of the sausages.) Remove the sausages from the grill and place them on a chopping board. Slice each sausage into rounds (on a slight angle) and place on a platter, or onto four plates. Top with the ají rojo and serve.
Sultry and Simple Food for Red-Hot Dinners and Parties
- by Rafael Palomino with Arlen Gargagliano
- Photographs by Dan Goldberg
- Chronicle 2010
- Paperback; 160 pages; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 0811866602
- ISBN-13: 978-0-8118-6660-6
- Reprinted by permission.
Buy Latin Grill
- Grilled Sweet Plantains, Abuelita Style
- Grilled Arepas with Farmer's Cheese (or Queso Blanco)
- Grilled Chorizo (Colombian Sausage with Ají Rojo)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created July 2010