The Hot and Hot Fish Club Cookbook: A Celebration of Food, Family and Traditions by Chris and Idie Hastings, includes recipes like Oyster Shooters; Dove Breasts Wrapped in Benton's Bacon; and Heirloom Cauliflower Gratin with Roasted Chestnuts and Parmesan Cream.
Yield: 12 servings
With cocktails or as an appetizer, this is a crowd pleaser. When sourcing oysters for this dish, work with your local fishmonger to make certain you are getting oysters that have been out of the water no longer than three to four days and select only those that are tightly closed. Tap on the shell and if it sounds hollow, it is no good. The oysters should feel heavy in the hand. If fresh oysters in the shells are unavailable, you can substitute a pint of shucked oysters instead.
- 2 medium (about 3/4 pound) ripe red tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup peeled, seeded, and diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 24 freshly shucked oysters and their liquor
- 1-1/2 cups tequila, well chilled
- 12 fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Place twelve 2-ounce shot glasses in the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
Place the tomato quarters into a food mill set over a clean bowl. Process until all the liquid is extracted from the tomatoes and discard the solids. Strain the tomato liquid through a fine-mesh sieve. You should have about 3/4 cup fresh tomato juice.
Combine the tomato juice and the next 8 ingredients (horseradish through black pepper).
Chill the mixture for at least 30 minutes before serving. Arrange 1 tablespoon of the mixture in each prepared shot glass and top each with one oyster and 1 tablespoon of the tequila. Repeat the layers one more time and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
The Hot and Hot Fish Club Cookbook
A Celebration of Food, Family and Traditions
- by Chris and Idie Hastings
- Running Press Books 2009
- $35.00; hardcover
- ISBN-10: 0762435526
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7624-3552-4
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Oyster Shooters
- Dove Breasts Wrapped in Benton's Bacon
- Heirloom Cauliflower Gratin
with Roasted Chestnuts and Parmesan Cream
This page created January 2010