Farm to Fork: Cooking Local, Cooking Seasonal, Cooking Fresh by Emeril Lagasse, includes recipes like Escarole Soup; Toasted Garlic Romano Beans; and Bacon Wrapped Quail with Sausage, Sage and Chestnut Dressing.
Yield: 6 servings
Escarole does have a bitter flavor, but don't turn your back on it just yet. The broth in this soup is delicious and the escarole actually becomes a little bit sweeter in this recipe, while bitterness tones down. It's got a little kick from the crushed red pepper and is rounded out by the cheese. Oh yeah babe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large (about 10 ounces) head escarole,
cleaned and rough ribs removed, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock or canned, low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
In a medium saucepot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, raise the temperature to medium high. Add the onions and sauté until tender, stirring as needed, about 5 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for about 1 minute. Add the garlic, stirring constantly to avoid scorching, and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until the garlic has mellowed.
Add the escarole and continue to simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. If desired, season with salt and pepper. Add the herbs and stir to mix well. Transfer the soup to serving bowls. Combine the grated cheeses and garnish each soup bowl with the cheese mixture, to taste.
Farm to Fork:
Cooking Local, Cooking Seasonal, Cooking Fresh
- by Emeril Lagasse
- HarperStudio 2010
- Paperback; 336 pages with 152 recipes; $24.99 US / $32.99 CAN
- ISBN-10: 0061742953
- ISBN-13: 9780061742958
- Reprinted by permission.
Buy Farm to Fork
- Escarole Soup
- Toasted Garlic Romano Beans
- Bacon Wrapped Quail with Sausage, Sage and Chestnut Dressing
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created August 2010