500 Best Sauces, Salad Dressings, Marinades & More by George Geary, includes recipes like Mango Lime Chutney; Tarragon Pickle Relish; and Spaghetti Anchovy Puttanesca.
Spaghetti Anchovy Puttanesca
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
Most sauces are made with the harvest from the garden. This off-season favorite from Naples is made with the bounty of a good Italian market.
I don't add salt to this pasta sauce because the anchovies are salty enough.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 25 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley 25 mL
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes 2 mL
- 1 can (28 oz1796 mL) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup whole black olives, coarsely chopped 125 mL
- 1 tbsp capers, drained 15 mL
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 50 mL
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, parsley and hot pepper flakes and saute, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid has almost evaporated, about 30 minutes. Stir in olives, capers and anchovies and heat through. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
500 Best Sauces, Salad Dressings, Marinades & More
- by George Geary
- Robert Rose Inc. 2009
- $24.95/paperback original; 16 full-color photos
- ISBN-10: 0778802272
- ISBN: 978-0-7788-0227-3
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created January 2010