500 Best Sauces, Salad Dressings, Marinades & More by George Geary, includes recipes like Mango Lime Chutney; Tarragon Pickle Relish; and Spaghetti Anchovy Puttanesca.
Mango Lime Chutney
Makes 3 cups (750 mL)
Mix chutney with Mexican rice or serve with roast chicken.
To tell if a mango is ripe, gently squeeze it in the palm of your hand; it is ready to use if it feels soft, like a tomato.
Chutney keeps well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 week.
Substitute lemon zest and juice for the lime.
- 1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
- 1/2 cup white vinegar 125 mL
- 3 cups chopped ripe mangos (see Tips, above) 750 mL
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins 125 mL
- 2 tbsp grated lime zest 25 mL
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice 50 mL
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp mustard seeds 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper 1 mL
In a pot over medium heat, combine sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil. Add mangos, onion, raisins, lime zest and juice, garlic, mustard seeds and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 30 to 45 minutes. Let cool.
500 Best Sauces, Salad Dressings, Marinades & More
- by George Geary
- Robert Rose Inc. 2009
- $24.95/paperback original; 16 full-color photos
- ISBN-10: 0778802272
- ISBN: 978-0-7788-0227-3
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created January 2010