Whole Grains for Busy People: Fast, Flavor-Packed Meals and More for Everyone by Lorna Sass, includes recipes like Hominy and Kidney Bean Chili; Torticotti; and Quinoa Paella with Chicken and Chorizo.
Makes 4; Serves 2 to 4
This easy variation on the theme of manicotti calls for whole-wheat tortillas wrapped around a ricotta filling. Having the tortillas ready to go obviates the need to precook pasta as a separate step. Practicality aside, it's just darn good.
Figure that an average eater will have one and a big eater either one and a half or two. Serve the torticotti with fried peppers and onions or a tricolored salad of radicchio, arugula, and endive.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, defrosted
- 2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons store-bought pesto
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas, about 10 inches in diameter
- 1 cup pasta sauce, preferably with mushrooms
Squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach. Place the spinach, ricotta, pesto, Romano cheese, vinegar, salt, and garlic in a food processor. (Alternatively, blend them together by hand.) Stir in the hazelnuts.
Spread 3/4 cup of filling down the center of each tortilla. Fold each side over to cover the filling. Set 2 torticotti, seam side down, on a large microwaveable plate. Spread about 1/4 cup of sauce on top of each. Repeat to make 2 more torticotti. Cover lightly with waxed paper to catch splatters.
Microwave until heated throughout, about 3 minutes for two and 5 minutes for four.
Alternatively, heat the torticotti, lightly tented with foil, on a nonstick baking pan, in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F, until piping hot, 15 to 20 minutes.
Garnish with Romano cheese before serving.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to the filling.
- Scatter shredded mozzarella (smoked is especially nice) on top of the pasta sauce.
- After heating, garnish with a little chopped fresh parsley.
Whole Grains for Busy People
Fast, Flavor-Packed Meals and More for Everyone
- by Lorna Sass
- Clarkson Potter 2009
- ISBN-10: 0307407829
- ISBN-13: 978-0-307-40782-5
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created May 2009