- 2 chayotes
- 3 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, finely mashed
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 cup cooked ground meat
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp sofrito
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter
1. Wash and cut chayotes in half lengthwise.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine water, salt, garlic and chayotes. Boil for 25 to 30 minutes until fork tender.
3. Remove from saucepan, drain and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Hold a chayote in place by using a fork. Scoop out the pulp into a bowl with a tablespoon, leaving shells intact. Repeat process with the other three halves. Set aside.
6. Mix chayote pulp, rice and meat. Taste for salt and pepper. Using a tablespoon, stuff chayote shells with the mix. Set aside.
7. Beat egg with sofrito, cracker crumbs, and butter. Brush this mix over the stuffed chayotes. Bake until tops are light brown.
Serve with salad or vegetables.
Homestyle Puerto Rican Cooking:
Traditional Recipes with a Modern Touch
- by Erisbelia Garriga, PhD
- Sabrosuras Boricuras (https://sabrosurasboricuas.com)
- Hardcover; 159 pages
- ISBN-10: 0976208806
- ISBN-13: 978-0976208808
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created July 2009