With a sandwich press and 200 Best Panini Recipes by Tiffany Collins, make recipes like Hawaiian Chicken Panini; Turkey Panini with Cranberry Chutney and Sunflower Seeds; and Beef Fajita Quesadillas.
Beef Fajita Quesadillas
If you're ever in San Antonio, you must dine at my friend Dianna Barrios Trevino's restaurants, Los Barrios and La Hacienda De Los Barrios, where you will find the best Tex-Mex in all of Texas. Dianna helped me develop this panini, which includes ingredients she uses in many of her wonderful dishes.
- 3/4 cup diced steak, left over from beef fajitas (175 mL)
- 1/4 cup Tomatillo Sauce (50 mL)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 25 mL
- 2 8- to 10-inch (20 to 25 cm) flour tortillas
- 2 tsp butter, melted (10 mL)
- 1/2 cup shredded Chihuahua or Monterey Jack cheese (125 mL)
- Sour cream, guacamole and salsa
Preheat panini grill to high.
1. In a bowl, combine steak, tomatillo sauce and cilantro; set aside.
2. Brush one side of each tortilla with butter. Place on a work surface, buttered side down, and spoon beef mixture onto half of each tortilla, dividing evenly and leaving a 1/2-inch (1 cm) border around the edges. Sprinkle each with half the cheese. Fold tortillas over filling, pressing gently to pack.
3. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until filling is hot and cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
Serve with black beans and Spanish rice. Garnish the plate with a lime wedge.
You may be able to find good-quality tomatillo sauce at your local supermarket if you're not up to making your own.
Chihuahua cheese is a wonderful cheese made in the Chihuahua region of Mexico. I love using it in sandwiches, enchiladas and egg dishes. It's also great in fondue recipes and fried.
This recipe is also great with leftover chicken, pork or shrimp—it's very versatile.
- 200 Best Panini Recipes
- by Tiffany Collins
- Robert Rose, Inc. 2008
- $24.95/trade paperback
- ISBN-10: 0778802019
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7788-0201-9
- Information provided by the publisher.
- Hawaiian Chicken Panini
- Turkey Panini with Cranberry Chutney and Sunflower Seeds
- Beef Fajita Quesadillas
- Tomatillo Sauce
This page created February 2009