French Feasts by Stephane Reynaud, includes recipes like Pumpkin Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Soupe de Courge et Ses Graines Grillées); Neck of Mutton Stew (Ragout de Mouton); and Pike Terrine (Terrine de Brochet).
Neck of Mutton Stew
(Ragout de Mouton)
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour 40 minutes
- Neck of mutton 4 pounds 8 ounces
- Potatoes 6
- Carrots 2
- Bay leaves 2
- Rosemary 2 large sprigs
- Garlic 4 cloves
- Flour 4 teaspoons
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
1. Cut the mutton neck into small pieces. Saute them in olive oil in a Dutch oven or casserole until lightly browned; then add the flour and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups of water, the sliced carrots, unpeeled garlic, bay leaves, and rosemary. Cover and cook at low heat for 1 hour.
3. Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters, add them to the mutton and vegetables, and cook for an additional
30 minutes. Season and serve.
Wine: Costières de Nîmes
- 299 Traditional Recipes for Family Meals and Gatherings
- by Stephane Reynaud
- Photographs by Marie-Pierre Morel
- Stewart, Tabori & Chang 2009
- $40.00 US / $49.95 CAN
- 480 pages; more than 500 color photographs and illustrations
- ISBN-10: 1584797940
- ISBN: 978-0-470-37133-6
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy French Feasts
- Pumpkin Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
(Soupe de Courge et Ses Graines Grillées)
- Neck of Mutton Stew (Ragout de Mouton)
- Pike Terrine (Terrine de Brochet)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created December 2009