The Fine Cooking Annual Volume 3 from the experts at Fine Cooking Magazine, presents chef-inspired recipes like Garden Lettuces with Garlic Chapons; Cavatappi with No-Cook Tomato Sauce; and Braised Cod with Fennel, Potatoes & Littlenecks.
Cavatappi with No-Cook Tomato Sauce
Serves four to six
It goes without saying that ripe, in-season tomatoes are a must, but how you cut the tomatoes is important, too. A half-inch dice is perfect, because it will give you a juicy sauce while maintaining the integrity of the tomatoes. And don't be afraid to use a good amount of olive oil-it combines with the juices drawn by the salt to make the sauce, as well as adds its rich flavor to the dish, giving it lots of body and depth. Finally, toss the sauce with hot pasta; the heat helps release the flavors in the tomatoes and creates a better integrated dish than if you mixed the sauce with cold pasta.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 3 large or 4 medium),
cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or basil or both
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 medium clove)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt; more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; more to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound dried cavatappi, penne or other pasta shape
Combine all the ingredients except the pasta in a nonreactive bowl large enough to hold the tomatoes and the cooked pasta; mix well. Let the sauce sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until done, according to package directions. Drain well.
Toss the sauce with just-cooked pasta. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Variations on salsa cruda or No-Cook Tomato Sauce.
Fine Cooking Annual Volume 3
- from the experts at Fine Cooking Magazine
- The Taunton Press 2008
- $34.95 hardcover U.S. / $44.00 Canada 384 pages
- ISBN-10: 160085043X
- ISBN-13: 9781579653576
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Garden Lettuces with Garlic Chapons
- Cavatappi with No-Cook Tomato Sauce
- Braised Cod with Fennel, Potatoes & Littlenecks
This page created March 2009