4 to 6 Servings
This is a dinner version of the popular Mexican breakfast dish. Crema mexicana (a cultured cream similar to crème fraîche or sour cream) and crumbled queso fresco (a fresh white cheese) are available in the cheese and deli sections of many supermarkets and at Latin markets. Diced cooked chicken can be used instead of turkey.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped red onion, divided
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 4-ounce can diced mild green chiles
- 3 cups purchased medium-hot salsa with chipotles and garlic
(from about two 16-ounce jars)
- 4 cups unsalted tortilla chips
- 2 cups crumbled queso fresco, cotija cheese, or feta cheese
(about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Crema mexicana or sour cream
Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet. Add 1-1/4 cups onion; sauté until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and green chiles; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in salsa; simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chips. Sprinkle with cheese. Place skillet in oven; bake just until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup onion and cilantro; drizzle with crema mexicana.
The Bon Appétit Fast Easy Fresh Cookbook
- 1100 Quick Dishes For Every Night Cooking
- by Barbara Fairchild
- Wiley 2008
- Hardcover; $34.95; 768 pages
- ISBN-10: 0470226307
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-22630-8
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created March 2009