Difford's Encyclopedia of Cocktails by Simon Difford, includes information like Cocktail History and Angostura Bitters and cocktail recipes like East India, The Lady Wears Red, Navy Grog, Negroni, and Pisco Sour.
Garnish: Orange zest twist
Method: POUR all ingredients into ice-filled glass and STIR.
- 1-1/2 shot(s) shot(s) Tanqueray london dry gin
- 1-1/2 shot(s) Campari Bitter
- 1-1/2 shot(s) Martini Rosso sweet vermouth
Comment: Bitter and dry, but very tasty, This no namby-pamby drink is traditionally assembled and mixed directly in the glass. There is something about this drink that does not suit fussing about with mixing glasses and strainers, To garnish with a lemon slice is a heinous crime.
Origin: This drink takes its name from Count Camillo Negroni. In the mid-1920s, while drinking at the Casoni Bar in Florence, Italy, he is said to have asked for an Americano 'with a bit more kick'.
Difford's Encyclopedia of Cocktails
- by Simon Difford
- Firefly Books 2009
- $45.00; plastic-laminated hardcover
- 495 pages; 3,000 color illustrations
- ISBN-10: 1554075017
- ISBN-13: 978-1-55407-501-0
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created December 2009