Brazilian Pickled Vegetables
Every burger needs a pickle on the plate. It's an automatic. traditional combination that just works. Pickles add texture and tang to a burger's soft, sweet meat. A small bowl of tart pickles, including carrots, onions, hot peppers, and whole garlic cloves, frequently welcomes diners to restaurant tables throughout Brazil and Mexico. Serve these with the Feijoada Burger.
Build Your Own: You can pickle only one or several of these vegetables and leave out some of the spices, if you like.
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon each whole black peppercorns, pink peppercorns,
coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 3 whole allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 large carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips 1/3 inch wide
- 1 small bulb fennel, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 pearl onions, peeled
- 5 wedges fresh coconut, shelled but inner brown skin left on (optional)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
- 5 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Zest of 1 orange, cut into long, thin strips
- 1 large handful cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
To make the pickling mix: In large, nonreactive saucepan, bring the pickling mix ingredients to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
Add the carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper, fennel, onions, coconut, if using, jalapeños, garlic, and orange zest. Return to a boil, and simmer for about 3 minutes. Cover, remove from the heat, and let cool to room temperature. Add the tomatoes. Pack the vegetables and brine into clean glass jars, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 day before using. The pickles will keep for several weeks, refrigerated. To serve, scoop them into small bowls and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Build Your Own Ultimate Burgers
- by Hubert Keller with Penelope Wisner
- Wiley 2009
- Hardcover; $22.95; 180 pages
- ISBN-10: 0470187670
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-18767-81
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy Burger Bar
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2009