America's Best BBQ: 100 Recipes from America's Best Smokehouses, Pits, Shacks, Rib Joints, Roadhouses, and Restaurants by Chef Paul Kirk and Ardie Davis, includes recipes like Barbecued Pork Loin; Beer-Battered Cod with Tartar Sauce; Barbecued Mutton Ribs; and Buffalo (Bison) Bratwurst with Cheese and Jalapeños.
Buffalo (Bison) Bratwurst
with Cheese and Jalapeños
Serves 20 to 24
Recipe courtesy of:
Buckingham's Smokehouse Bar-B-Q
2002 S. Campbell
Springfield, MO 65807
- 5 to 6 feet hog casings or large sheep casings (optional)
- Apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 3 pounds lean boneless buffalo meat, chilled
- 2 pounds pork or pork butt, chilled 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup diced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup ice water, or as needed
- 1/2 cup diced sharp cheddar cheese
If you're going to make sausage links instead of patties, the day before you plan to stuff the sausage, rinse the sausage casings under cold water inside and out. Prepare a solution of 1 cup water to 1 capful of cider vinegar. Soak the casings in the solution overnight in the refrigerator.
Grind the meat twice through the sausage plate of a meat grinder or in a food processor and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer. Combine the milk, bread crumbs, and jalapeños in a small bowl and set aside. Combine the seasoned salt, sage, ginger, dry mustard, white pepper, coriander, mace, and nutmeg in a small bowl and set aside.
Fit the stand mixer with a dough hook, add the bread crumb mixture to the meat, and blend on low speed for 2 minutes. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on medium for about 5 minutes, or until well blended, adding ice water as needed. Add the cheese and blend in for 1 minute. Stuff the mixture into the casings or make into patties and cook as desired.
America's Best BBQ:
100 Recipes from America's Best Smokehouses, Pits, Shacks, Rib Joints, Roadhouses, and Restaurants
- by Chef Paul Kirk, CWC, PhB, BSAS and Ardie A. Davis, PhB
- Andrews McMeel 2009
- Paperback; 240pp; U.S.: $19.99 Canada: $24.50
- ISBN-10: 0740778110
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7407-7811-7
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Barbecued Pork Loin
- Beer-Battered Cod with Tartar Sauce
- Barbecued Mutton Ribs
- Buffalo (Bison) Bratwurst with Cheese and Jalapeños
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2009