The Barcelona Cookbook by Sasa Mahr-Batuz and Andy Pforzheimer with Mary Goodbody, includes recipes like Almejas con Chorizo Clams with Sausage; Mussels al Diablo Mussels with Hot Pepper; Calamari a la Plancha Pan-cooked Squid; and Pollo al Pimentos Chicken with Pimentos.
Calamari a la Plancha
We go through about 30,000 pounds of fresh calamari a year. Squid is, unfortunately, very seasonal, and there are times of the year it's hard to find. Still, we serve this dish only when we have fresh calamari, because the frozen product contains too much water and never really caramelizes the right way. Don't be shy with the seasonings; this is not supposed to be a subtle dish.
- 1 pound cleaned fresh calamari,
cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch-thick rings,
and tentacles, if included with the squid
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic (3 to 5 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, for garnish
- 4 lemon wedges, for garnish
1. Put 2 large sauté pans (cast iron if possible) over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until very hot.
2. Pat the calamari dry with paper towels and then season lightly with salt.
3. Put 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in one of the pans and cook the calamari for about 4 minutes, or until it releases its liquid.
4. Put the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the other pan and then remove the pan from the heat and hold it, at an angle, near the pan with the calamari. Lift the calamari from the first pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to the second pan, leaving the juices in the first pan.
5. Return the second pan to the heat and add the garlic and tentacles. Cook until the calamari is nicely browned. Add the parsley and pepper flakes, stir, and remove the pan from the heat.
6. Divide the calamari among 4 serving plates, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, and garnish each plate with sea salt and a lemon wedge.
The Barcelona Cookbook
A Celebration of Food, Wine, and Life
- by Sasa Mahr-Batuz and Andy Pforzheimer with Mary Goodbody
- Andrews McMeel Publishing 2009
- $29.99 ($36.99 Canada) Hardcover; 224 pages
- ISBN-10: 0740773941
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7407-7394-5
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Almejas con Chorizo Clams with Sausage
- Mussels al Diablo Mussels with Hot Pepper
- Calamari a la Plancha Pan-cooked Squid
- Pollo al Pimentos Chicken with Pimentos
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created September 2009