300 Big & Bold Barbecue & Grilling Recipes by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig, includes recipes like Wood-Grilled Filipino Pork Steaks with Pineapple Tangerine Glaze; Wasabi Grilled Scallops with Japanese Beans; and Vietnamese Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Carrot and Daikon Relish.
This summer grilling recipe is a tasty surprise from Japan!—Kate Heyhoe
Wasabi Grilled Scallops
with Japanese Beans
Serves 6 as a main course, 12 as an appetizer
Clean, fresh flavors—a hallmark of Japanese seaside cuisine—characterize this dish.
The sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh or frozen Chinese long beans
or French thin green beans (haricot verts), trimmed
- 2 (25 mL) tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 (15 mL) tbsp granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 2 (25 mL) tbsp soy sauce
- 1 (15 mL) tbsp yellow miso paste
- 1 (15 mL) tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 (25 mL) tbsp wasabi powder
- 1 (15 mL) tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 (25 mL) tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (15 mL) tbsp water
- 1 (15 mL) tbsp soy sauce
- Toasted light or dark sesame seeds
- 24 large sea scallops, trimmed of hard side muscles
1. Prepare the beans: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook beans until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes for fresh beans, 4 to 5 minutes for frozen. Drain and refresh in cold water. Pat dry and place in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together sesame seeds, sugar, soy sauce, miso paste and oil. Pour over beans and toss to coat. Set aside.
3. Prepare the sauce: In a bowl, whisk together wasabi powder, brown sugar, oil, water and soy sauce.
4. Prepare a hot fire in your grill.
5. Rinse scallops under cold running water and pat dry. Brush scallops with sauce.
6. Grill scallops for 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once, until opaque, somewhat firm to the touch and with good grill marks. Serve scallops atop beans and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
300 Big & Bold Barbecue & Grilling Recipes
- by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig
- Photography by Alberto Cassio
- Robert Rose 2009
- $24.95/trade paperback
- ISBN-10: 0778802124
- ISBN-13: 978-0-7788-0212-9
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Wood-Grilled Filipino Pork Steaks with Pineapple Tangerine Glaze
- Wasabi Grilled Scallops with Japanese Beans
- Vietnamese Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
with Carrot and Daikon Relish
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2009