The Asian Barbecue Book: From Teriyaki to Tandoori by Alex Skaria, includes recipes like Fragrant Pomegranate Scented Lamb Burgers; Vindaloo Pork Steaks; and Tataki Seared Beef on a Bed of Onion and Daikon.
Scented Lamb Burgers
Makes 6 burgers, about 1/2 lb (150 g) each
Pomegranate is a popular ingredient in north Indian cuisine, which still shows the strong influence of the Moghul emperors. This delicious recipe combines heady pomegranate concentrate with an underlying scent of cardamom and cloves and the fresh aroma of coriander (cilantro). Serve these burgers on Quick Pita Bread (page 160 of the book) with a few sprigs of fresh coriander and either with Yogurt Cucumber Raita (page 166), Sweet and Sour Tomato Chutney (page 54) or Tomato Pomegranate Dip (page 50). If you wish to serve a salad alongside, Farmer's Salad (page 163) is a good choice.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Grill Time: 6 to 12 minutes for medium
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 4 green cardamom pods, toasted
- 4 cloves, toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 lbs (1 kg) ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (30 g) finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (85 g) finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate concentrate
- 3 teaspoons sumac
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons melted butter for basting
1. Remove the crusts from the bread, cut into small cubes and soak in warm water until soft.
2. In a mortar or food processor, add the toasted spices and grind to a powder.
3. In a large bowl, add the ground lamb, bread, ground toasted spices, olive oil, garlic, parsley, egg, onion, 1 tablespoon of the pomegranate concentrate, sumac and salt and knead well. Let rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Moisten hands and make patties.
4. Prepare the grill for direct grilling with two heat zones (medium and high). (See page 13 of the book for charcoal and page 17 for gas.)
5. Just before you begin grilling, oil the hot grate. Place the burgers on the grate over the medium heat zone and grill for about 6 to 12 minutes while basting regularly with the butter. Towards the end of the grilling time baste with the remaining 2 tablespoons of pomegranate concentrate to give the burgers a nice flavored glazing.
The Asian Barbecue Book:
From Teriyaki to Tandoori
- by Alex Skaria
- Photography by Alberto Cassio
- Tuttle 2009
- $29.95, hardcover; 176 pages
- ISBN-10: 080484044X
- ISBN-13: 978-0-8048-4044-6
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Fragrant Pomegranate Scented Lamb Burgers
- Vindaloo Pork Steaks
- Tataki Seared Beef on a Bed of Onion and Daikon
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2009