Wild Rice-Pecan Patties
with Red Onion Chutney
- Prep time: 40 minutes
- Start to finish: 40 minutes
- 5 Servings (2 patties and
2 tablespoons chutney each)
- Whole grain serving: 1/2
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced red onion (1 large)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup diced dried fruit and raisin mixture
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs (about 1-1/2 slices bread)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 jar (2.5 oz) mushroom pieces and stems, drained, finely chopped
- 1 jar (2 oz) diced pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 In 2-quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Cook onion in oil about 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Stir in remaining chutney ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until dried fruits are plump and mixture has thickened; remove from heat.
2 Meanwhile, cook wild rice in water as directed on package, or see page 16 of the book; drain if necessary. In large bowl, mix cooked wild rice and remaining patty ingredients except oil.
3 In 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Scoop wild rice mixture by 1/3 cupfuls into skillet; flatten to 1/2 inch. Cook about 3 minutes on each side or until light brown. Remove patties from skillet; cover and keep warm while cooking remaining patties. Serve with chutney.
You can make Wild Rice-Corn Patties. Just substitute 1/3 cup frozen (thawed) whole kernel corn for the pecans.
1 Serving: Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 150); Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat Og); Cholesterol 125mg; Sodium 260mg; Total Carbohydrate 52g (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 29g); Protein 9g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 8%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1-1/2 Starch, 2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat, 2% Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3-1/2
- Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes
- from the Betty Crocker Editors
- Wiley 2007
- Hardcover; 224 Pages; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 0470080604
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-08060-3
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created March 2008