Spanish Rice Bake
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Start to finish: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 4 servings (1 cup each)
- Whole grain serving: 1-1/2
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped 1/2 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn (from 1-lb bag), thawed, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 oz) condensed tomato soup
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced- fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend (6 oz)
1 Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook brown rice, onion and bell pepper in oil 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is light brown and onion is tender. Stir in corn.
2 In casserole, mix remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir in rice mixture and 1 cup of the cheese.
3 Cover; bake 20 minutes. Stir mixture. Cover; bake about 30 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Stir mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake uncovered 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe serves 8 to 10 as a side dish, or it makes 4 main-dish servings. Meat lovers can stir in their favorite cooked meat with the rice mixture; use a 3-quart casserole. Cooked ground beef, diced pepperoni, crumbled cooked bacon or cooked sausage works well.
1 Serving: Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 160); Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 6g; Trans Fat Og); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 960mg; Total Carbohydrate 59g (Dietary Fiber 8g; Sugars 9g); Protein 17g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 30%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 3 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 High-Fat Meat, 1-1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 4
- Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes
- from the Betty Crocker Editors
- Wiley 2007
- Hardcover; 224 Pages; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 0470080604
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-08060-3
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created March 2008