Beef and Kasha Mexicana
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Start to finish: 25 minutes
- 6 servings (1-1/3 cups each)
- Whole grain serving: 1/2
- 1 1b extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat kernels or groats (kasha)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 package (1.25 oz) 40%-less-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn (from 1-lb bag), thawed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, if desired
1 In 12-inch skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in kasha until kernels are moistened by beef mixture.
2 Stir in tomatoes, chiles, taco seasoning mix, corn and water. Heat to boiling. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until kasha is tender.
3 Sprinkle cheese over kasha mixture. Cover; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro and olives.
This tasty main dish combines whole-grain kasha with beef and uses familiar Mexican ingredients. It's a great transition recipe, when you're just starting to eat grains. You can also use this mixture as a filling for tortillas.
1 Serving: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 3.5g; Trans Fat Og); Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 990mg; Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 5g); Protein 23g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 20%; Iron 25% Exchanges: 2 Starch, 2% Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
- Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes
- from the Betty Crocker Editors
- Wiley 2007
- Hardcover; 224 Pages; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 0470080604
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-08060-3
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created March 2008