The New Vegetarian Grill: 250 Flame-Kissed Recipes for Fresh, Inspired Meals by Andrea Chesman is a re-issue of her classic grilling cookbook, including recipes for Quick-Rise Pizza Dough; Grilled Chakchouka; and Eggplant Steaks.
Serves 6 to 8
Chakchouka is to North Africa what ratatouille is to France—a rich melange of summer vegetables. In both dishes, the vegetables are the same, but cumin and harissa in the North African version replace the basil and oregano. Harissa is a spicy hot pepper paste that can be found wherever African foods are sold. In North Africa, chakchouka is often served with a topping of poached or fried eggs. This vegetable stew also makes a delicious topping for couscous. My favorite way to serve chakchouka is with pita pockets or another Arab flatbread and feta cheese. This dish tastes even better the day after it is made, and it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large eggplant (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and sliced 3/8 inch thick
- 6 medium-size tomatoes, halved
- 1 green bell pepper, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, halved
- 1 medium-size yellow summer squash, sliced 3/8 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon harissa, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill.
2. Skewer the onion and garlic. Combine the olive oil and cumin and brush on the onion, garlic, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, and summer squash.
3. Grill the vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender and grill-marked, 10 to 15 minutes for the onion, garlic, and eggplant; about 10 minutes for the peppers and tomatoes; and 5 to 8 minutes for the summer squash. Remove the vegetables from the grill as they are done.
4. Chop the grilled vegetables into 1/2-inch dice and combine in a saucepan with the harissa and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes on the grill or on the stove. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Serve hot or at room temperature.
The New Vegetarian Grill
250 Flame-Kissed Recipes for Fresh, Inspired Meals
- by Andrea Chesman
- The Harvard Common Press
- Paper; $16.95
- ISBN-10: 1558323627
- ISBN-13: 978-1-55832-362-9
- Recipes reprinted by permission
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2008