The Editors of the Vegetarian Times bring you their favorites in Vegetarian Times Fast and Easy: Great Food You Can Make in Minutes, including recipes for Cheese Beignets; Edamame Succotash; and Tempeh Triangles with Piccata Sauce.
Tempeh Triangles with Piccata Sauce
- Serves 6
- 15 Minutes
These make a great presentation!
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced (1-1/2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon slices, for garnish
1 To make Piccata Sauce: Roast garlic in dry skillet over medium heat for 20 seconds. Add wine, lemon juice, capers, salt and pepper; cook about 10 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2 To make Tempeh Triangles: Whisk together soymilk and mustard in medium-sized bowl. Combine cornmeal, flour, sage, salt and pepper on wax paper.
3 Cut each tempeh piece into 3 squares, for 6 squares total. Cut each square into 2 triangles. Dip triangles in soymilk mixture, dredge in cornmeal mixture and set aside.
4 Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half of the tempeh triangles about 3 minutes per side, and remove. Add remaining oil to skillet, and repeat.
5 Arrange tempeh triangles on serving plates, and top with sauce. Garnish with lemon slices.
Per Serving, 320 cal; 16g prot; 109 total fat (\.5g sat. fat); 28g carb; Omg chol; 510mg sod; 5g fiber; 3g sugars
Vegetarian Times Fast and Easy
Great Food You Can Make in Minutes
- by the Editors of Vegetarian Times
- Wiley 2008
- Paper; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 0470085525
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-08552-3
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2008