The Editors of the Vegetarian Times bring you their favorites in Vegetarian Times Fast and Easy: Great Food You Can Make in Minutes, including recipes for Cheese Beignets; Edamame Succotash; and Tempeh Triangles with Piccata Sauce.
- Serves 6
- 15 Minutes
Green soybeans, called edamame, have a sweet. nutty flavor. Standing in for the traditional lima beans, they offer a great variation on this classic dish. Edamame are available frozen and fresh, in the pod and shelled.
Look for them in large supermarkets, natural-food stores or Asian markets. For a great twist, serve the succotash in hollowed-out tomatoes. If you're using frozen edamame, prepare them first according to package directions, omitting any salt, and drain well.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen shelled edamame
- 3 tablespoons white wine or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Stir in corn, edam arne and wine; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
2 Remove skillet from heat. Stir in parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Per Serving: 140 cal; 8g prot; 5g toral fat (0.5g sat. fat); 18g carb; Omg chol; 200mg sod; 4g fiber; 3g sugars
Vegetarian Times Fast and Easy
Great Food You Can Make in Minutes
- by the Editors of Vegetarian Times
- Wiley 2008
- Paper; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 0470085525
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-08552-3
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2008