Small Parties by Marguerite Henderson, features full menus, like Breakfast at the Cabin for Six with a recipe for Herbed Egg Strudel and Autumn Harvest Feast for Eight with a recipe for Roast Prime Rib of Pork with Cherry Bourbon Sauce.
Herbed Egg Strudel
Cut each strudel into 3 portions to make 6 servings.
These few ingredients are designed to make a spectacular presentation-a scrambled egg-filled puff pastry. And it's so easy to assemble-five minutes from start to oven.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Heat the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Beat the eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper until frothy, about 1 minute. Whisk the chives and parsley into the eggs. Add the eggs to the heated skillet; cook on medium-low heat for 1 minute. With a spatula, stir the eggs until softly scrambled. Do not overcook. Eggs should be a little wet.
Place the two sheets of puff pastry on 2 separate baking sheets lined with parchment paper. With a sharp knife, cut slits on both sides of pastry, 3 inches deep and 1-1/2 inches wide on a diagonal (45-degree angle facing up), making about 6 strips. Leave about 3 inches of the pastry in center, uncut. Place half the egg mixture down the center of each pastry sheet, and then alternate the cut strips of pastry over the eggs, enfolding the eggs in the pastry, keeping the pastry slightly loose on top so that the eggs have room to expand as they bake. Brush top with egg wash, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese, and bake in a preheated 425° F oven for 20 minutes.
More Than 100 Recipes for Intimate Gatherings
- by Marguerite Henderson
- Gibbs Smith, 2008
- Paperback; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 1423602463
- ISBN-13: 978-1-4236-0246-0
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy Small Parties
- Fresh Fruit Ambrosia
- Raspberry Orange Sour Cream Muffins
- Herbed Egg Strudel
- Chicken Apple Sausage Sauté
- Roast Prime Rib of Pork with Cherry Bourbon Sauce
- Oven-Roasted Fennel, Rainbow of Mini Peppers, and Potatoes
- Plum Crostada (Rustic Free-Form Fruit Tart)
*more recipes for this menu appear in the book
This page created August 2008