Small Parties by Marguerite Henderson, features full menus, like Breakfast at the Cabin for Six with a recipe for Herbed Egg Strudel and Autumn Harvest Feast for Eight with a recipe for Roast Prime Rib of Pork with Cherry Bourbon Sauce.
Roast Prime Rib of Pork
with Cherry Bourbon Sauce
3 to 4 pounds prime rib of pork (a rack of pork before it is cut into chops), 8 ribs per rack, with excess fat removed.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Cherry Bourbon Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 diced shallots (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Combine all ingredients for rub and spread evenly onto the top of the rack of pork. Place the pork, skin side up, in roasting pan (with or without a rack). Roast the pork uncovered on middle rack of preheated 325° F oven for 20 minutes per pound [i.e., a 3-pound roast will roast for 60 minutes). A meat thermometer should read 140 degrees Fahrenheit in the center of the roast.
Let rest 10 minutes before slicing into individual "chops," allowing 1 chop per person. Serve with Cherry Bourbon Sauce.
Cherry Bourbon Sauce
Makes about 3/4 cup sauce
In a small saucepan, heat the butter. Sauté the shallots until soft, about 2 minutes. Add cherries, bourbon, vinegar, and brown sugar, and then simmer for 5 minutes. This can be made several hours ahead. Pour sauce over sliced cooked pork chops and sprinkle with toasted nuts.
More Than 100 Recipes for Intimate Gatherings
- by Marguerite Henderson
- Gibbs Smith, 2008
- Paperback; $19.95
- ISBN-10: 1423602463
- ISBN-13: 978-1-4236-0246-0
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy Small Parties
- Fresh Fruit Ambrosia
- Raspberry Orange Sour Cream Muffins
- Herbed Egg Strudel
- Chicken Apple Sausage Sauté
- Roast Prime Rib of Pork with Cherry Bourbon Sauce
- Oven-Roasted Fennel, Rainbow of Mini Peppers, and Potatoes
- Plum Crostada (Rustic Free-Form Fruit Tart)
*more recipes for this menu appear in the book
This page created August 2008