Pork Shoulder Braciole
Another variation on braciole, the stuffed rolls of beef, or veal, or pork Italians like so much. The orange wedges provide the sweetness that goes so well with beautiful grilled pork. Buy the best salami you can find for this such as my dad's (see www.salumicuredmeats.com).
- 1-1/2 cups toasted bread crumbs
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami, cut into 1/4-inch wide matchsticks
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino romano
- 1 bunch mint, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Grated zest of 3 oranges
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices boneless pork shoulder (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oranges, cut into wedges
Combine the bread crumbs, salami, pecorino, mint, parsley, and orange zest in a large bowl and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of the olive oil and mix well with your hands or a spoon. Set aside.
Cut twenty-four 10-inch-long pieces of kitchen twine. Using a meat mallet, pound the pork pieces very thin. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Spread a thin layer of stuffing (about 1/3 cup) on each slice of meat. Starting from a long side, roll each one up like a jelly roll and tie with 2 pieces of the twine, making a little packet. Place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Preheat a gas grill or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
Brush the rolls lightly with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the rolls over medium-high heat and cook, turning occasionally, until deeply marked with grill marks on all sides, about 15 minutes. Turn off one burner if using a gas grill, and move the rolls to the cooler part of the grill; or move them to the cooler perimeter of a charcoal grill. Cover the grill and cook, turning occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 185 to 190 degrees F.
Transfer the rolls to a platter and serve with the orange wedges.
- Italian Grill
- by Mario Batali with Judith Sutton
- Ecco/HarperCollins Publishers 2008
- Hardcover; 29.95; 256 pages
- ISBN-10: 0061450979
- ISBN-13: 978-0-06-145097-6
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy Italian Grill
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2008