Learn the basics of Indian food and curries with 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer, including primers on Cooking Rice and how to make Ghee, or Clarified Butter; and a recipe for Stewed Pineapple with Raisins and Chiles (Anaras Ambol).
Stewed Pineapple with Raisins and Chiles
Sweet, tart, and hot, this accompaniment from Monica Kataky’s kitchen rounded out the fish curry called Maasor tenga (660 Curries, page 237) and the white rice she served at dinner. The guests at the table voted it a hands-down winner, the empty bowl a testimony to that conviction. The chutney takes center stage beautifully when served atop a piece of grilled wild salmon.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6 to 8 dried red Thai or cayenne chiles,
to taste, stems removed
- 1/2 cup crumbled (or chopped) jaggery
or firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher or sea salt
1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds, cover the pan, and cook until the seeds have stopped popping (not unlike popcorn), about 30 seconds. Add the pineapple, raisins, and chiles. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the raisins are plump and the pineapple is lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Add the jaggery and cook, stirring so it melts, 2 to 4 minutes.
3. Pour in 1 cup water, and sprinkle in the salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce turns syrupy-thick, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Reheat to warm it before serving.
Tip: For an unusual presentation, ladle a tablespoon of this potent fruit over two scoops of your favorite premium vanilla ice cream.
- by Raghavan Iyer
- Workman Publishing
- 809 pages; Paperback (also available in Hardback)
- $22.95 (US) $26.95 (CAN)
- ISBN-10: 0761137874
- ISBN-13: ISBN13: 9780761137870
- Reprinted by permission.
Buy 660 Curries
- The Elements of a Curry
- Cooking Rice
- Ghee, or Clarified Butter
- Stewed Pineapple with Raisins and Chiles (Anaras Ambol)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created July 2008