So You Want to Be a Chef?
Your Guide to Culinary Careers 2nd Edition
by Lisa M. Brefere, Karen Eich Drummond, and Brad Barnes
The National Restaurant Association estimates that the restaurant industry is the nation's largest employer outside of government, employing approximately 12.5 million people. So You Want to Be a Chef? by authors Lisa M. Brefere, Karen Eich Drummond, and Brad Barnes is the only book providing comprehensive, real-world coverage of both mainstream and alternative culinary careers.
Looking for more than just classroom techniques to help students succeed? So You Want to Be a Chef? introduces readers to over 75 career paths in foodservice and cooking. Three sections outline the many possibilities, including:
- Feeding Frenzy—discusses carewers in such traduitional sectors as hotels, restaurants, cruise lines, clubs, catering and supermarkets.
- Feeding the Masses—highlights careers such as in business and industry, schools and universities, and other on-site foodservice opportunities.
- Home On and Off the Range—describes various careers that don't necessarily require working in a kitchen all day such as research and development, education, and public relations.
This second edition features: a new chapter on research and development chefs; advice from recent culinary school graduates; expanded coverage of on-site foodservice areas like health care, continuing care communities, and the armed forces; and a detailed appendix listing all professional culinary organizations mentioned in the book.
In addition, food-related jobs such as Culinary Educator, Food Stylist, Food Photographer, Food Writer—even Celebrity Chef—are included! Filled with real-world details, So You Want to Be a Chef? offers an all-access preview oftoday's many culinary careers.
About the Authors
Lisa M. Brefere, CEC, AAC is a Certified Executive Chef with over thirty years of experience. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, she is a member of the American Culinary Federation and the American Academy of Chefs, and has been awarded the ACF Presidential Medallion for outstanding dedication to the profession. Chief Executive Officer of GigaChef.com, which she co-founded with Brad Barnes, she has also co-authored several books including Nutritionfor Foodservice and Culinary Professionals.
Karen Eich Drummond, EdD, RD, FADA, LDN, FMP is author and co-author of numerous books, including Nutrition for Foodservice and Culinary Professionals and The Restaurant Training Program, both published by Wiley.
Brad Barnes, CMC, CCA, AAC, is one of fifty-nine Certified Master Chefs in the United States. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, he is a member of the National Certification Commission for the American Culinary Institute.
- So You Want to Be a Chef?
- Your Guide to Culinary Careers 2nd Edition
- by Lisa M. Brefere, Karen Eich Drummond, and Brad Barnes
- Wiley 2008
- Paperback, 256 pages; $35.00
- ISBN-10: 0470088567
- ISBN: 978-0-470-08856-2
- Information provided by the publisher.
So You Want to Be a Chef?
Culinary Careers in Restaurants
Chapter One Excerpts
- Introduction to Culinary Careers in Restaurants
- The Feel
- A Day in the Life
- The Reality
- Interview: Waldy Malouf, Chef/Co-owner, Beacon Restaurant
- Interview: Cameron Mitchell, President, Cameron Mitchell Restaurants
Read Culinary Careers in Restaurants in PDF format at Wiley.com.
Culinary School Information
- Find Culinary Schools
- Is Culinary School Right for You?
- How to Choose a Cooking School
- Culinary Arts Career Choices
- Chef Wages and Income
- Becoming A Chef
- So You Want to Be A Chef
- So You Are A Chef
- Food Jobs
- Making of a Chef
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Success as a Chef
This page created October 2008