Caramelized Onion and Chickpea Burgers
Makes 4 Burgers
Serve these a little smaller than most other burgers: they are incredibly rich and filling. Try them on a bed of greens with lots and lots of lemon wedges and thickened yogurt (page 58 of the book).
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed,
drained and mashed by hand
- 1 cup caramelized onions (page 29)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
Place the chickpeas, onions, panko, garlic, cilantro, tahini, lemon juice and rosemary in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each into a patty about 3/4 to 1 inch thick, tossing it back and forth between your hands. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
Sprinkle the patties with the salt and pepper. Place a cast iron skillet over high heat and when it is hot but not smoking add the burgers to the dry pan. Cook until well seared on both sides and heated throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon quarters.
- Recipe of the Week: Burgers
52 Easy Recipes for Year-round Cooking
- by Sally Sampson
- Wiley, 2008
- $16.95; Paperback; 112 pages
- ISBN-10: 0470169443
- ISBN-13: 9780470169445
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Recipe of the Week: Burgers
- Caramelized Onion and Chickpea Burgers
- Cuban Style Pork Burger
- Chicken Diablo Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created May 2008