Learn about the connection between heart disease and diet in Betty Crocker Cookbook Heart Health Edition, including heart-healthy recipes like Northern Italian White Bean Salad; Manicotti; and Spicy Chicken in Peanut Sauce.
in Peanut Sauce
Prep: 15 Min — Cook: 8 Hr
Pass small bowls of dry-roasted peanuts and chopped fresh cilantro to sprinkle over the chicken, and serve with wedges of warm pita bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 8 large chicken thighs (about 3 lb),
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes
with green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups hot cooked couscous
1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil about 4 minutes, turning once, until brown.
2. In 4- to-5-quart slow cooker, mix onion, diced and crushed tomatoes, honey, cumin and cinnamon. Add chicken. Spoon tomato mixture over chicken.
3. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
4. Stir in peanut butter until melted and well blended. Serve chicken and sauce over couscous.
1 Serving: Cal. 670 (Cal. From Fat 290); Fat 32g (Sat. Fat 8g); Chol. 115mg; Sodium 890mg; Carbs. 51g (Fiber 7g); Pro. 51g % Daily Value: Vit. A 24%; Vit. C 32%; Calc. 16%; Iron 32% Exchanges: 3 Starch, 6 Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat Carb. Choices: 3-1/2
- Betty Crocker Cookbook Heart Health Edition
- from the Betty Crocker Editors
- Wiley 2007
- Cloth spiral-bound hardcover; 576 Pages; $29.95
- ISBN-10: 0470171634
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-17163-9
- Information provided by the publisher.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created May 2008