Prepare for Fall parties with Autumn Gatherings by Rick Rodgers, featuring recipes like Cranberry Rum-Raisin Sauce; Butternut Squash Bisque with Chipotle-Red Pepper Swirl; and Roasted Salmon with Pomegranate Butter Sauce.
Cranberry Rum-Raisin Sauce
Makes about 3 cups
This is another holiday staple that deserves to be served all season long. Cranberries have lots of natural preservatives in them, and this sauce keeps for a few weeks chilled. Make a batch to store in the refrigerator to serve with your turkey, and with pork chops and roasted chicken.
- 12 ounces cranberries,
rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
1. Bring the cranberries, brown sugar, raisins, ginger, vinegar, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a heavy-bottomed nonreactive medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
2. Simmer uncovered, stirring often, until all the cranberries burst and the juices are syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum. Cool completely. (The sauce can be prepared up to 3 weeks ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
- Causal Food to Enjoy With Family and Friends
- by Rick Rodgers
- Morrow Cookbooks, HarperCollinsPublishers 2008
- ISBN-10: 0061438847
- ISBN-13: 978-0061438844
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cranberry Rum-Raisin Sauce
- Butternut Squash Bisque with Chipotle-Red Pepper Swirl
- Roasted Salmon with Pomegranate Butter Sauce
This page created October 2008