The Culinary Institute of America presents Vegetables, a comprehensive single-subject cookbook, with recipes like Lemon-Infused Greek Salad with Grape Leaves , Mixed Grill of Garden Vegetables with Charmoula, and Tomato Sampler with Pan-Fried Calamari.
Lemon-Infused Greek Salad
with Grape Leaves
The final additions to this salad—toasted pita wedges and grape leaves—add some substance and texture to this classic salad. If you have a good source for prepared grape leaves, use them any time you want a quick and satisfying salad that is substantial enough to feature as a main course.
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper as needed
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 lb romaine hearts, rinsed, dried, and torn into pieces
- 1 cup Greek olives, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups sliced, peeled seedless cucumber
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper (seeded, thinly sliced)
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2-1/4 cups crumbled feta
- 4 whole wheat pitas, toasted, cut into 16 wedges
- 16 Stuffed Grape Leaves (page 110 of the book)
1. Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and stir until the salt is dissolved. Add the canola and olive oils in a stream, whisking constantly, until the oil is blended into the dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
2. Place the cleaned romaine into the salad bowl. Add the sliced olives, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, pepper, and red onion to the mixing bowl. Toss the salad ingredients together with the vinaigrette until evenly coated.
3. Top with the feta and garnish with the pita wedges and stuffed grape leaves.
- The Culinary Institute of America
Recipes and Techniques from the World's Premier Culinary College
- by the Culinary Institute of America
- Lebhar-Friedman, 2007
- $40.00; hardcover
- More than 100 color photographs
- ISBN: 0-86730-918-0
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Lemon-Infused Greek Salad with Grape Leaves
- Mixed Grill of Garden Vegetables with Charmoula
- Tomato Sampler with Pan-Fried Calamari
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created July 2007