Learn Spanish cooking from Simone and Inés Ortega in their classic cookbook, 1080 Recipes, featuring Octopus with Paprika Pulpo con Pimenton; Partridges with Grapes Perdices con Uvas; Sepulvedana Roast Lamb Cordero Asado a la Sepulvedana; and Catalan Cream Crema Catalana.
by Simone Ortega and Inés Ortega
Most Spanish households have one standard cooking reference in their kitchen, the bible of authentic Spanish cooking, 1080 Recetas de Cocina.
Spain's bestselling cookbook for more than thirty years, it is the most influential, respected and successful cookbook ever in Spain, one that became an instant classic when originally published in 1972 and has since sold more than 2 million copies. Now, for the first time, this definitive collection of the most famous and delectable plates that the country has to offer, has been translated into English and published in the United States as 1080 Recipes.
With its 1,080 recipes, over 100 specially commissioned photographs , a new English edition designed and illustrated by famous Spanish graphic designer Javier Mariscal and introduction by superstar Spanish chef Ferran Adria, 1080 Recipes is not only the most comprehensive, but also the most gorgeous collection of traditional Spanish home-cooking. It is divided into 17 chapters that include: Appetizers, Cold Plates, Fried dishes, Savory Tartlets, Little Turnovers, Toasts, and Mousses, Sauces, Stews and Soups, Rice, Vegetables, Mushrooms, Wild Mushrooms, and Truffles, Eggs, Savory Custards, and Soufflés, Fish and Shellfish, Meat, Chicken and Poultry, Game, Variety Meats, and Desserts.
No-fuss, friendly and approachable for the home cook, the book's easy-to-follow recipes cover just about every dish from all of Spain's diverse regions including tortillas, paella, gazpacho, escalibada, garlic shrimp, croquetas, churros, flan and more. 1080 Recipes also features menu plans from celebrated Spanish and American chefs such as Jose Andres, Andy Nusser, and Alexandra Raij, cooking tips and advice, and a glossary of terms and ingredients.
Long-considered the ultimate food destination in the world, Spain has also recently permeated American palates, with wine and tapas restaurants soaring in popularity from coast to coast. The publication of 1080 Recipes is the chance to bring the delicious and simple tastes of Spain into your own home as every recipe of this time-tested classic has been translated, converted and tested for the American kitchen.
- The definitive book on traditional and authentic Spanish home cooking.
- A bestseller since its publication almost forty years ago, millions of copies have been sold in Spain.
- Spanish cuisine is the fastest growing cuisine in popularity, with Spanish restaurants and tapas bars opening in cities all over the world.
- Contains 1080 recipes from all Spanish regions for everything from appetizers to stews, from vegetables to desserts.
- All recipes thoroughly updated and revised for the English-speaking markets.
- Designed by the famous Spanish graphic designer and illustrator, Javier Mariscal, and including over 500 illustrations he has created for this edition together with 104 specially commissioned photographs.
- Introduction by Ferran Adrià, the celebrated head chef of El Bulli restaurant in Spain, voted the world's best restaurant in 2006 and 2007.
About the Authors
Born in Barcelona, Simone Ortega has been writing about cooking for over 50 years, and is considered one of the foremost authorities on traditional Spanish and has contributed articles and recipes to countless newspapers and magazines. Her best-known book—and the one which facilitated her entry into gastronomic history—is 1080 Recetas de Cocina (1080 Recipes), a recipe book published in 1972 which, with over two million copies sold, remains a best-seller. To this day, through its clear and straightforward approach, it continues to teach new generations of men and women how to cook.
Inés Ortega has worked with her mother, Simone, for many years and is an established and highly regarded food writer in her own right.
- 1080 Recipes
Recipes and Culinary Travels Along the Indian Ocean Spice Route
- by Simone Ortega and Inés Ortega
- Phaidon Press 2007
- 200 Color Illustrations/Photos
- $39.95 US; hardcover
- ISBN-10: 0714848360
- ISBN-13: 9780714848365
- Information provided by the publisher.
Buy 1080 Recipes
- Octopus with Paprika Pulpo con Pimenton
- Partridges with Grapes Perdices con Uvas
- Sepulvedana Roast Lamb Cordero Asado a la Sepulvedana
- Catalan Cream Crema Catalana
For more Spanish recipes, please visit Spain page.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created November 2007