The Silver Palate Cookbook "Silver Anniversary Edition" by Julee Rosso, Sheila Lukins and Michael McLaughlin, now includes color photos of many of the classic recipes from the original. Don't miss Chicken Marbella, Beet and Roquefort Salad with Walnuts, and Salmon Mousse.
Beet and Roquefort Salad with Walnuts
6 to 8 portions
This hearty salad is especially welcome in winter. It goes perfectly with a ham, grilled sausages or the like, and the color combination is striking on a buffet table.
As a variation you may omit the Roquefort and sprinkle the salad generously with chopped fresh dill.
- 8 to 10 medium-size beets
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/2 cup shelled walnut halves
- 1/4 pound imported Roquefort cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Wash beets well, and trim stems and roots without piercing the skin. Drop the beets into a large kettle of boiling salted water and cook until tender, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the beets. Drain, cool, and peel beets, and cut into julienne.
2. In a mixing bowl toss the beets gently with the vinegar and walnut oil. Taste and add more of either if you like; there should be just enough to coat the beets. Cover and chill until serving time.
3. To serve, toss the walnuts with the chilled beets and arrange in a shallow serving bowl. Allow to return to room temperature. Crumble the Roquefort evenly over the top and grind on black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- The Silver Palate Cookbook
- by Julee Rosso, Sheila Lukins and Michael McLaughlin
- Workman Publishing Company, 2007
- $19.95 (U.S.); $25.95 (CAN.)
- Paperback; 480 pages
- ISBN: 0761145974
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2007