Mastering the Grill, The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking, by Andrew Schloss and David Joachim, presents refined grilling recipes, including Grilled Polenta with Mediterranean Vegetable Compote, and Szechwan Shrimp with Grilled Mango Chutney and Sesame Szechwan Salt.
Sesame Szechwan Salt
Makes about 1/3 cup
This delicious, fragrant salt and pepper blend is wonderful on plain grilled shellfish and poultry; it needs nothing more than a drizzle of ponzu sauce (such as Grapefruit Ponzu Marinade or Mop, page 359 of the book) or a wedge of lime.
- Good with
- Seafood: any fish or shellfish
- Poultry: chicken, turkey, game hen
- Meat: lamb, pork, veal
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons cracked Szechwan pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Heat a small, heavy skillet over high heat for 1 minute. Add the sesame seeds and stir until the seeds start to pop. Remove from the heat and add the cracked Szechwan pepper; stir until aromatic. Add the salt, black pepper, and ginger.
2. Use as directed in a recipe; can be stored in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
See recipe for Szechwan Shrimp with Grilled Mango Chutney and Sesame Szechwan Salt.
- Mastering the Grill
The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking
- by Andrew Schloss and David Joachim
- Photography by Alison Miksch
- Chronicle Books, 2007
- $24.95/trade paperback
- 120 color photographs; 50 illustrations
- ISBN: 0811849643
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Grilled Polenta
with Mediterranean Vegetable Compote
- Szechwan Shrimp
with Grilled Mango Chutney and Sesame Szechwan Salt
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2007