Smoked Springbok Carpaccio
with Summer Greens
From Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge (Namib Desert, Namibia)
- 350g smoked springbok, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green asparagus, blanched
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- 1 head fennel, thinly sliced
- 100g fresh rocket leaves, washed
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange, zest only
- 80 ml olive oil
- 10ml lemon juice
- 125ml basil leaves, shredded
- 15ml white wine vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper
Arrange the carpaccio evenly over 4 large plates.
Halve the blanched asparagus lengthways.
Rinse the cannellini beans and drain well.
Toss the asparagus, cannellini beans, fennel, rocket, avocado, orange zest, olive oil, lemon juice, basil and vinegar together. Season with salt and pepper.
Pile salad on top of springbok and add more basil leaves on top if you wish.
Note: Springbok may be substituted with smoked ostrich, smoked beef, Parma ham or even smoked salmon.
- A Kitchen Safari
Stories & Recipes from the African Wilderness
- by Dumi Ndlovu and Yvonne Short
- Struik Publishers 2007
- Hardcover, $29.95
- 192 pages/Color photos throughout
- ISBN-10: 177007127X
- ISBN-13: 978-1770071278
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy A Kitchen Safari
Excerpt: A Culinary Tour of Africa
- Smoked Springbok Carpaccio with Summer Greens (Namibia)
- Zanzibar Fish Soup (Tanzania)
- Botswana Beef (Botswana)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created October 2007