Hors d'Oeuvre at Home by The Culinary Institute of America can help novice chefs prepare appetizers like professionals with recipes like Blitz Puff Pastry, Cheese Sticks (Paillettes), Palmiers with Prosciutto, Crab Cakes with Creole Honey-Mustard Sauce, and Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto.
Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto
Makes 30 brochettes
The classic combination of lamb and mint makes this hors d'oeuvre a favorite. If using bacon rather than pancetta, blanch it in a large saucepan of slowly simmering water for 5 minutes. The bacon will become opaque and firm. Drain and pat dry before using.
- 2 lb 8 oz boneless leg of lamb
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
(about 1/2 lemon)
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped mint, chopped
- 8 oz pancetta, thinly sliced, or bacon (about 15 slices)
- 2 cups mint pesto sauce (jarred or homemade)
1. Cut the lamb into 3/4-inch cubes. Combine the lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until blended. Add the oil and mint.
2. Toss the lamb in the mixture to coat well, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator, tossing occasionally, at least 4 hours.
3. Soak thirty 6-inch bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning. Thread 2 pieces of lamb and 1/2 slice of pancetta onto each skewer; arrange on a sheet pan.
4. Roast the brochettes in a preheated 450 degree F oven until the lamb is nicely browned outside, yet still pink and juicy inside, 8 to 12 minutes.
5. Serve the brochettes with mint pesto sauce for dipping.
- Hors d'Oeuvre at Home
Essential Techniques and Recipes for Creating Great Small Bites
- by The Culinary Institute of America
- Wiley 2007
- Hardcover: 224 pages; $29.95
- ISBN-10: 0764595628
- ISBN-13: 978-0764595622
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Blitz Puff Pastry
- Cheese Sticks (Paillettes)
- Palmiers with Prosciutto
- Crab Cakes with Creole Honey-Mustard Sauce
- Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created September 2007