Hors d'Oeuvre at Home by The Culinary Institute of America can help novice chefs cook like professionals with recipes like Blitz Puff Pastry, Cheese Sticks (Paillettes), Palmiers with Prosciutto, Crab Cakes with Creole Honey-Mustard Sauce, and Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto.
Cheese Sticks (Paillettes)
Makes 30 cheese sticks
Be creative with Cheese Sticks—substitute different cheeses and spices to create different flavors to fit the theme of any occasion. You can also twist the strips of dough like a corkscrew before baking as a design element or to denote different flavors.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 1b Blitz Puff Pastry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sweet Spanish paprika for sprinkling on pastry
1. Whisk together the egg yolk and milk in a cup to make an egg wash. Brush the puff pastry sheet with the egg wash.
2. Sprinkle the cheese and paprika evenly over the puff pastry sheet. Cut the sheet lengthwise into 1/4-in strips.
3. Bake the cheese sticks on parchment-lined sheet pans in a preheated 4oo�F oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
NOTE: Cayenne, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds may be used as alternative garnishes to the paprika.
- Hors d'Oeuvre at Home
Essential Techniques and Recipes for Creating Great Small Bites
- by The Culinary Institute of America
- Wiley 2007
- Hardcover: 224 pages; $29.95
- ISBN-10: 0764595628
- ISBN-13: 978-0764595622
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Blitz Puff Pastry
- Cheese Sticks (Paillettes)
- Palmiers with Prosciutto
- Crab Cakes with Creole Honey-Mustard Sauce
- Lamb Brochettes with Mint Pesto
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created September 2007