Honga's Lotus Petal by Colorado restaurateur Honga Im Hopgood features Asian recipes like Ohitashi (Spinach Appetizer—Japan), Som Tam Salad (Papaya Salad—Thailand), and Pajun with Dipping Sauce (Scallion Pancakes—Korea).
This simple yet elegant muse is packed with so much iron that Popeye would love it.
- 6 ounces raw spinach
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 4 teaspoons bonito flakes
Steam the spinach just until it turns bright green, being careful not to overcook. Remove immediately from heat and immerse the greens in ice water. Squeeze out any excess water.
Shape one quarter of the spinach into a cylindrical shape.
Using a sharp knife, cut the cylinder in half and place both halves in a small shallow serving bowl.
Repeat with the remaining spinach. Mix the soy and mirin together in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
Sprinkle one teaspoon of bonito flakes on top of each spinach roll and pour the soy mirin sauce evenly over the spinach in all four bowls.
- Honga's Lotus Petal
- by Honga Im Hopgood
- Gibbs Smith, Publisher 2007
- Hardcover: 224 pages; $29.95
- ISBN 978-1586858933 (1586858939)
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Ohitashi (Spinach Appetizer—Japan)
- Som Tam Salad (Papaya Salad—Thailand)
- Pajun with Dipping Sauce (Scallion Pancakes—Korea)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created August 2007