This Wild Rice and Turkey Salad with Pear Dressing recipe is from Lorna Sass' cookbook Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way.
Wild Rice and Turkey Salad
with Pear Dressing
Here is a fetching main dish salad to prepare when your refrigerator overflows with holiday leftovers. It also makes a festive contribution to a potluck any time of year, prepared with store-bought roast turkey.
For the pear dressing
- 1 large ripe Bartlett pear
- 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
For the salad
- 3 cups cooked Basic Wild Rice (page 110 of the book)
- 3 cups diced roast turkey
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
Quarter the unpeeled pear and remove the core and seeds. Puree the pear in a mini food processor. Transfer it to a large bowl and blend in the oil, vinegar, honey, orange zest, salt, and allspice.
Stir in the wild rice, turkey, pecans, cranberries, and scallion greens. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Let the salad sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve at room temperature.
Use roast chicken instead of turkey.
Substitute Wehani rice for the wild rice.
Buy the Book
Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
by Lorna Sass
Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Hominy Minestrone with Basil Pesto
- Wild Rice and Turkey Salad with Pear Dressing
- Whole-Wheat-Yogurt Waffles with Blueberries
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created January 2007