The Food Made Fast series from Williams-Sonoma offers a selection of quick and easy cookbooks on single subjects, featuring recipes like Tangerine Beef & Snow Peas (Asian), Pesto Shrimp on Mixed Greens (Grilling), Spinach, Pear & Walnut Salad (Salad), and Creamy Fish Chowder (Seafood).
Tangerine Beef & Snow Peas
Jasmine rice is a long-grain variety that originated in Thailand. It is prized for its aromatic character, mildly nutty flavor, and long, slender kernels that steam up fluffy and slightly sticky. The finest jasmine rice still comes from northern Thailand. Look for it in well-stocked supermarkets and Chinese and Southeast Asian grocery stores.
- 1 pound (500 g) beef sirloin or skirt steak,
cut against the grain into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh tangerine or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- 3 tablespoons corn or peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 pound (125 g) snow peas (mangetouts), trimmed, strings removed,
- and cut in half
- Steamed rice, for serving
Marinate the beef:
In a large bowl, combine the beef and soy sauce, mix well, and set aside for 10 minutes.
Make the sauce:
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons water, and the tangerine juice, wine, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and cornstarch and stir to dissolve the cornstarch.
Stir-fry the beef:
Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat until very hot and add 2 tablespoons of the corn oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and beef and stir-fry just until the beef is browned, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a bowl. Return the pan to high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the snow peas and stir-fry until tender, about 2 minutes. Give the sauce a quick stir, add to the pan, and stir until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 seconds. Return the meat to the pan and stir-fry until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve with the rice.
- Food Made Fast—Asian
- from Williams-Sonoma
- Oxmoor House 2007
- Color photographs throughout
- 0-8487-3144-1 (Seafood)
- 0-8487-3145-X (Grilling)
- 0-8487-3146-8 (Salad)
- 0-8487-3148-4 (Asian)
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Tangerine Beef & Snow Peas (Asian)
- Pesto Shrimp on Mixed Greens (Grilling)
- Spinach, Pear & Walnut Salad (Salad)
- Creamy Fish Chowder (Seafood)
Food Made Fast recipes from earlier books in the series: Pasta, Soup, Weeknight, Baking, and Slow Cooker.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created March 2007