The Food Made Fast series from Williams-Sonoma offers a selection of quick and easy cookbooks on single subjects, featuring recipes like Tangerine Beef & Snow Peas (Asian), Pesto Shrimp on Mixed Greens (Grilling), Spinach, Pear & Walnut Salad (Salad), and Creamy Fish Chowder (Seafood).
Pesto Shrimp on Mixed Greens
Deveined shrimp are now readily available. They are easier to peel, too, since the shells are loosened in the deveining process. For the ultimate—though more costly—time-saver, buy shrimp that are peeled and deveined. To peel and devein shrimp yourself, beginning at the head, pull off the shell, then cut a shallow groove along the curve of the back and lift out the dark, veinlike intestinal tract.
- Grated lemon zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- 2/3 cup (5 fl oz/160 ml) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds (750 g) large shrimp (prawns), peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 3 tablespoons pesto, purchased
- 1/2 pound (250 g) mixed salad greens
- 1 cup (6 oz/185 g) grape or cherry tomatoes
Make the lemon vinaigrette:
Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Place a grill screen on the grill rack.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Grill the shrimp:
In a bowl, toss the shrimp with 2 tablespoons of the lemon vinaigrette, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Lightly oil the grill screen. Arrange the shrimp on the grill screen and cover. Grill, turning once, until firm and opaque, about 5 minutes total. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl, add the pesto and 1 tablespoon of the lemon vinaigrette, and stir to coat the shrimp. In a large bowl, combine the greens and tomatoes, drizzle with the remaining lemon vinaigrette, and toss. Divide the salad among 4 plates, top with the shrimp, and serve.
- Food Made Fast—Grilling
- from Williams-Sonoma
- Oxmoor House 2007
- Color photographs throughout
- 0-8487-3144-1 (Seafood)
- 0-8487-3145-X (Grilling)
- 0-8487-3146-8 (Salad)
- 0-8487-3148-4 (Asian)
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Tangerine Beef & Snow Peas (Asian)
- Pesto Shrimp on Mixed Greens (Grilling)
- Spinach, Pear & Walnut Salad (Salad)
- Creamy Fish Chowder (Seafood)
Food Made Fast recipes from earlier books in the series: Pasta, Soup, Weeknight, Baking, and Slow Cooker.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created March 2007