Lemon Buttermilk Bars
Makes 8 bars
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 2/3 cup
- 2/3 cup flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Powdered (icing) sugar, for dusting
Mix the dough and bake the crust:
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom and the sides of an 8-inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter and 1/4 cup granulated sugar until creamy. Add the 2/3 cup flour and the salt and mix on low speed until blended. Spoon the dough into the prepared pan and press evenly into the pan bottom. Bake until the crust is golden, 15-18 minutes.
Make the filling:
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using the electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and the remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar until blended. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons flour, the lemon zest and juice, and the buttermilk and beat until smooth. Pour the filling evenly over the baked crust.
Bake the filling:
Bake until the top of the filling is set and barely browned at the edges, 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 8 bars, dust with powdered sugar shaken through a sieve, and serve.
- Food Made Fast—Baking
- from Williams-Sonoma
- Oxmoor House 2006
- Color photographs throughout
- 0-8487-3135-2 (Pasta)
- 0-8487-3136-0 (Soup)
- 0-8487-3137-9 (Weeknight)
- 0-8487-3138-7 (Baking)
- 0-8487-3139-5 (Slow Cooker)
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Food Made Fast
- Spaghetti with Mixed Seafood (Pasta)
- Cucumber Soup (Soup)
- Chicken & Mango Salad (Weeknight)
- Lemon Buttermilk Bars (Baking)
- Chili Verde (Slow Cooker)
Food Made Fast recipes from the Spring 2007 books in the series: Seafood, Grilling, Salad, and Asian.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page modified March 2007