The Food Made Fast series from Williams-Sonoma offers a selection of quick and easy cookbooks on single subjects, featuring recipes like Tangerine Beef & Snow Peas (Asian), Pesto Shrimp on Mixed Greens (Grilling), Spinach, Pear & Walnut Salad (Salad), and Creamy Fish Chowder (Seafood).
Creamy Fish Chowder
To clean a leek efficiently, trim the root end, cut the leek to the desired length, and then halve the leek lengthwise. Hold each half under cold running water, carefully pulling the layers open to wash away any dirt. Place in a colander or on a kitchen towel to drain briefly.
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 leek, halved, rinsed, and sliced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1-1/2 cups (12 fl oz/375 ml) fish stock or water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound (250 g) cod or other firm white-fleshed fish fillets, pin bones removed and fillets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-1/2 cups (12 fl oz/375 ml) milk
Cook the vegetables:
In a Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-low heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until it renders most of its fat but is not crisp, about 4 minutes. Add the leek and potato and cook, stirring frequently, until the leek softens, 6-8 minutes. (Adjust the heat as needed so the vegetables do not brown or stick.) Add the stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
Finish the chowder:
Season the fish lightly with salt and pepper. Add the fish and milk to the pan and cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the fish easily flakes apart, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Food Made Fast—Seafood
- from Williams-Sonoma
- Oxmoor House 2007
- Color photographs throughout
- 0-8487-3144-1 (Seafood)
- 0-8487-3145-X (Grilling)
- 0-8487-3146-8 (Salad)
- 0-8487-3148-4 (Asian)
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Tangerine Beef & Snow Peas (Asian)
- Pesto Shrimp on Mixed Greens (Grilling)
- Spinach, Pear & Walnut Salad (Salad)
- Creamy Fish Chowder (Seafood)
Food Made Fast recipes from earlier books in the series: Pasta, Soup, Weeknight, Baking, and Slow Cooker.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created March 2007