The Flexitarian Table by Peter Berley offers recipes that can please both vegetarians and carnivores, like Roasted Squash Potage with Spiced Crème Fraîche, Sautéed Escarole with Red Pepper Garlic, and Baked Fish/Ricotta Dumplings over French Lentils.
Fall Menu #3
When the delicate greens of summer subside, revealing a palette of deeper colors beneath:, roots and low-growing hard squash and pumpkins are ready to be harvested. This earthy menu features a creamy, warming soup to start, followed by a hearty lentil casserole studded with plump, tender ricotta dumplings or fillets of firm white fish. The casserole is rounded out by a sauté of escarole, a mild succulent green that deserves to be eaten more often.
- 1. Soak the lentils.
- 2. Prepare the soup.
- 3. While the soup simmers, cook the lentils.
- 4. Assemble and bake the lentil dish.
- 5. Meanwhile, make the spiced crème fraîche.
- 6. Sauté the escarole.
- The Flexitarian Table
Inspired, Flexible Meals for Vegetarians, Meat Lovers, and Everyone in Between
- by Peter Berley
- Houghton Mifflin 2007
- 352 pages, with more than 70 full-color photographs by Quentin Bacon
- $30.00 hardcover
- ISBN-10: 0618658653
- ISBN-13: 978-0-618-65865-7
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
- Fall Menu
- Roasted Squash Potage with Spiced Crème Fraîche
- Sautéed Escarole with Red Pepper Garlic
- Baked Fish/Ricotta Dumplings over French Lentils
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created September 2007