Prepare exotic meals for friends and family with Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges by Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Recipes include Mango Salad, Cherry Tomato, Long Bean, and Tamarind; Steamed Lobster with Garlic-Ginger-Basil Sauce; and Water Chestnuts, Sugar Snap Peas, and Shiitakes.
Water Chestnuts, Sugar Snap Peas,
Makes 4 servings
Crunchy, salty, and sweet, this quick stir-fry takes advantage of fresh vegetables by treating them simply. A hint of ginger and a splash of soy sauce are all you need.
- 3 tablespoons grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
- 6 fresh small shiitake mushrooms, trimmed
- 4 wood ear mushrooms, soaked in water for 1/2 hour,
then drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup peeled and sliced fresh water chestnuts
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, strings removed and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, ginger, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry until browned and softened, about 2 minutes. Then add another tablespoon oil, the water chestnuts, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry for another minute. Add the remaining tablespoon oil, the sugar snap peas, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
2. Season with the soy sauce and salt to taste and serve.
Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges
- by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- Broadway Books 2007
- Hardcover; 304 pages; $40.00
- ISBN-10: 076791273X
- ISBN: 978-0-7679-1273-0
- Recipe reprinted by persission.
- Mango Salad, Cherry Tomato, Long Bean, and Tamarind
- Steamed Lobster with Garlic-Ginger-Basil Sauce
- Water Chestnuts, Sugar Snap Peas, and Shiitakes
For more world recipes, please visit Destinations page.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created November 2007