By Gwen Ashley Walters
Topnotch at Stowe, Resort and Spa
151 calories, 4 grams fat/per serving (3 cookies)
Madeleine pan, a shell-shaped baking mold found at specialty cooking stores.
4-1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
4 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 cup hot coffee
2/3 cup sherry wine
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a stainless steel bowl. Pour the hot coffee over the mixture, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.
3. Whisk in the sherry wine to cool the mixture.
4. When cool, whisk in the eggs.
5. Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking soda) in a separate bowl. Stir in the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth (use a hand mixer for 1 minute for a speedier result).
6. Spray Madeleine mold(s) with non-stick spray. Fill each shell with approximately 1/8 cup of batter.
7. Bake until the tops spring back to the touch, between 12-18 minutes. Set your timer for 10 minutes and begin checking for doneness.
8. Remove from oven and cool in the pans for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving if desired.
Copyright © 2001, Gwen Ashley Walters. All rights reserved.
Gwen Ashley Walters is cookbook author, cooking teacher, food writer and Certified Culinary Professional with a degree in Culinary Arts. Gwen's travel guide/cookbooks, The Great Ranch Cookbook, (1998) and The Cool Mountain Cookbook, (2001) were published by Pen & Fork Communications.
This page created December 2001
Copyright © 1994-2018,