By Gwen Ashley Walters
Warm Chocolate Cake
From Sundance Resort, Utah
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
4-1/2 ounces good quality chocolate, chopped
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon flour
For custard cups:
8 (4-ounce) ovenproof custard cups
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Prepare the custard cups:
Butter and flour the custard cups with the 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 cup of flour. Set aside.
2. Melt the 3/4 cup butter and chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. Whisk the yolks and add a small amount of the warm butter/chocolate mixture to the eggs then add the warmed eggs to the butter/chocolate mixture and stir well.
3. Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage (lift the beater up and the egg whites will have a peak but the top falls over instead of standing straight up), then sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until the whites are stiff. Fold the whipped whites into the chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of flour and gently stir.
4. Fill the prepared custard cups 3/4 full. Bake in a preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just set.
5. Remove from oven and let stand for 8 minutes before unmolding onto a plate. Serve by itself, or with a scoop of ice cream and/or fudge sauce.
Copyright © 2001, Gwen Ashley Walters. All rights reserved.
Gwen Ashley Walters is cookbook author, cooking teacher, food writer and Certified Culinary Professional with a degree in Culinary Arts. Gwen's travel guide/cookbooks, The Great Ranch Cookbook, (1998) and The Cool Mountain Cookbook, (2001) were published by Pen & Fork Communications.
This page created November 2001