Though Spanish cuisine has roots in Roman and Mediterranean cooking, influence from Jewish and Moorish settlers differentiates Spain's cooking from the rest of Europe. Later, Spanish conquistadores brought back numerous foods from the Americas that were then introduced to the rest of Europe, including potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and beans.
In Spain, a tortilla is an omelette of eggs, potatoes, salt and olive oil. Additional ingredients may include peppers, onions, tuna, anchovies, artichokes, asparagus, mushrooms and cucumber. This is very different from Mexico, where tortilla refers to a flatbread of corn or flour.
Amount to serve 4
500 g (1 pound) potatoes
Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. Fry them in a frying pan at low heat with enough olive oil to cover the potatoes completely. When the potatoes are soft, nearly "boiled" in the oil but not brown, drain them well and mix them with the beaten eggs.
Put this mixture in a non-stick frying pan coated with a very thin film of olive oil, at low heat. Spread the mixture over the bottom of the pan with a pancake turner and shape the edges. After three minutes, invert the tortilla in the pan with the help of a dish or the lid of a pot. Let it cook on the other side in the same way.
It must be golden brown outside, well shaped, and juicy in the center.
Recipe provided by Asoliva of Spain
- Customs & Hospitality
- What toEat
- Menu Guide
- Festivals & Feasts
- The Tomatina (Tomato Fight)
Spanish Cookbooks with Recipes
- Catalan Cuisine by Colman Andrews
- El Farol: Tapas and Spanish Cuisine by James Campbell Caruso
- My Kitchen in Spain by Janet Mendel
- Savoring Spain & Portugal by Joyce Goldstein
- Olive Oil: From Tree to Table by Peggy Knickerbocker
- The Basque Table by Teresa Barrenechea
- The Best of Gourmet Magazine: Flavors of Spain
- The Barcelona Cookbook by Sasa Mahr-Batuz and Andy Pforzheimer
- 1080 Recipes aka Spain: The Cookbook
Tapas by Penelope Casas
- Fried Goat Cheese with Onion Confit
Queso de Cabra Frito Sobre Cebolla Confitada
- Vegetable and Goat Cheese "Lasagna"
Lasana de Verduritas con Queso de Cabra
- Fried Beer-Marinated Chicken Wings with Salsa Brava
Alitas de Pollo Marinadas en Cerveza con Salsa Brava
More Spanish Tapas Recipes
- Alioli Potatoes
- Bravas Potatoes
- Chicken Croquettes
- Fried Almonds
- Fried Calamares
- Fried Olives
- Red Pepper with Anchovies
- Salt Cod Fritters
- Shrimps with Garlic
- Spanish Orange Tart
- Spanish Tortilla
- White Beans with Vinaigrette Sauce
Back to the main Spain page
Spain on Wikipedia
More country Destinations
This page modified January 2007